The use of wireless headphones is becoming more and more common. In the United States, sales of Bluetooth headphones actually overtook those of conventional wired headphones for the first time last year. Going wireless is practical and eliminates the bothersome cord that catches on everything and tangles up at the worst possible times, whether there is a headphone socket or not.
However, going wireless necessitates the use of batteries, often lithium-ion ones. Lithium-ion batteries have a risk of exploding and burning. You may take a few easy precautions to prevent being the next person to lose their life to bursting wireless headphones.
Avoid the cheap wireless headphones.
These headphones are readily accessible online in their hundreds. They are plainly cutting costs when they are absurdly inexpensive. Cheap audio components may help manufacturers save money (although they will also sound bad), but they may also skimp on lithium-ion batteries or charging circuits.
Use a protective case when packing.
It's human nature to throw headphones into a bag as a last-minute afterthought. With wired headphones, you might get away with it (apart from minor scratches), but lithium-ion batteries that are crushed or put under pressure may experience a short circuit that results in a fire. Use a protective case while transporting your wireless headphones to avoid this happening.
Avoid dropping, sitting on or otherwise physically damaging your wireless headphones.
Lithium-ion batteries don't respond well to pressure or being pricked with sharp objects, as was previously indicated. Any of these behaviors might physically harm the lithium-ion battery, raising the danger of fire. Examples include sitting on headphones, dropping them down the side of a seat, and accidentally stomping on them.
Use an appropriate charger.
The majority of wireless headphones include a MicroUSB cord for smartphone charging. Avoid utilizing fast chargers and stick to name-brand charging options unless the manufacturer specifically permits it. Underpowered, low-cost chargers can harm headphone batteries; overcurrent chargers run the risk of causing headphones to blow up.
Don't charge in extreme temperatures.
Extreme temperatures may be hard for lithium-ion batteries, and charging in a hot environment increases the thermal stress. In the worst-case scenario, a fire can ensue from that, which might harm the batteries.
If you see any swelling on the headphones, stop using them.
Lithium-ion batteries frequently start to grow when they malfunction. This may eventually result in a nasty rupture or possibly a fire. Safely discard your wireless headphones if they exhibit any signs of swelling.
Stick to old school wired headphones.
You should heed the fundamental advice above. If you're still concerned, though, classic wired headphones are the only type that won't blow up on your head.